First, I want you to remember three things:
You are not a bad writer. Editing is painful for everyone. It is painful for me, it is painful for you, it is painful for every writer you’ve ever liked or admired. Despair in the face of editing is not uncommon. Don’t feel alone.
Your writing is not shit. Your drafts are a deluge of ideas and enthusiasm. They are messy, incomplete things full of your wildest potential. They are supposed to be messy. I want you to try to look at it and think ‘this may not look good right now, but it doesn’t mean I’m not good. It’s a work in progress.’
Your ideas are worth writing. You had a reason to write these things. They were important to you. They were so important that you had to write them down. They’re important enough to edit, even if it’s hard. Your ideas are important. Your ideas are worth the effort.
Now, I’m going to suggest a few different things, some of which I’ve tried, some of which I want to try. Please don’t feel discouraged if they don’t work right away.
Take a break from your work. From the sound of it, you’ve already done this. Try adjusting the length of your break. Make it shorter, when the idea still excites you.
Don’t take a break from your work. Edit as you go; stop at the end of the chapter, the scene, the day. Make little adjustments that will make you feel better when you look at it later. Tweak some dialogue. Write notes. Highlight what makes you unhappy, but can’t be fixed right now. This will make a world of difference when you come back to it.
List what bothers you when you try to edit. Make generalizations. Is your dialogue flat? Your description needs work? Take that stuff and check your favorite writing blogs or books for advice. These are all concrete issues with real solutions! You just have to find what work for you.
List what you like about your story. Super important! Don’t not do this step! Highlight awesome dialogue. Make notes of what works. You need to remind yourself that there’s a reason you wrote this to begin with.
Google that shit. Your favorite writers probably have some advice when it comes to editing. There may be a phrase or a list out there that’ll help you go go go.
Team ‘You.’ To borrow from Captain Awkward, you need to rally your support. Get your friends together, consider joining a writing group or getting a writing partner. None of this means you have to show them your work. But Team You can encourage you and act as sounding boards. Stephen King would have given up if not for his wife. People need support. Find people to cheer you on.
990 notes · #queue #editing #writing #writing tips #encouragement
- askpirateukplush likes this
- nattaeus likes this
- dropletsofthought reblogged this from taweesha
- khlara likes this
- lexiewrites likes this
- jessicamidorimadrew reblogged this from milgramexperiment
- earthenterran reblogged this from beatwritersbane
- thanksfortheuniverse likes this
- holdyourchocobos reblogged this from writeworld
- resaheart reblogged this from fuckyeahcharacterdevelopment
- norende reblogged this from writeworld
- starlantern likes this
- ddagent likes this
- edjuactor likes this
- werewolfofshadows likes this
- creativerealms reblogged this from sunscraps
- ahbutyoudontcare likes this
- jennystarseed reblogged this from sunscraps
- titles-for-tangents reblogged this from conquerorwurm
- fabusina reblogged this from cosmictuesdays
- walkingbearfoot reblogged this from cosmictuesdays
- thewonderofliving reblogged this from cosmictuesdays
- eucyon likes this
- demonfox38 likes this
- fudgesmonkey likes this
- cosmictuesdays reblogged this from sunscraps
- tenelevenroseandclara likes this
- brother-mine likes this
- 17xinfinity reblogged this from writeworld
- steveholtvstheuniverse likes this
- doktorgirlfriend reblogged this from atmilliways
- guesswhofiguredoutanewurl likes this
- doktorgirlfriend likes this
- atmilliways reblogged this from sunscraps
- listens-to-music reblogged this from artisticallyinsaneblog
- spagcishetti likes this
- miranda-dawnblossom likes this
- gsppcrocks10 reblogged this from artisticallyinsaneblog
- gsppcrocks10 likes this
- titles-for-tangents likes this
- moongalleon22 likes this
- ghostchibi likes this
- hlaaluhohohoseth likes this
- a-phoenix-from-the-fire reblogged this from raphanizein-thebootylord
- dominoshark likes this
- yiffkirigiri likes this
- raphanizein-thebootylord reblogged this from artisticallyinsaneblog
- listens-to-music likes this